The main objectives of the management practices in effect at the National Hunting Grounds of Mafra include researching and preserving its fauna and flora, environmental education, hunting activities and the provision of rural tourism services.
Such management naturally takes into consideration the principle of sustainability and across the facets of history, culture and heritage.
In order to obtain these objectives, the Hunting Grounds commit to:
– Ensuring the sustainable management of its natural resources;
– Acting in the defence and promotion of its historical, cultural and environmental heritage;
– Contributing towards local development and fostering sustainable tourism products;
– Bringing about forestry regeneration in the Hunting Grounds;
– Managing the hunting populations in harmony with the other natural resources;
– Supporting scientific research activities;
– Raising awareness about the environmental commitments made and hosting environmental education actions.